Internal Systems 3rd Line Engineer - 6 month FTC at IT Lab, London
IT Lab is a leading technology and managed services provider in the UK, ranked within the top five European and top 50 global managed services suppliers and operates out of offices in London, Manchester and Cape Town and, via its global partners, in 13 countries across the world. The award-winning company provides a range of services including 24/7 support, cloud services, ERP software implementation, technology transformation and change projects, strategic consulting and analytics.
We are a dynamic and fast-growing company that truly values and is reliant upon our people, our culture and our commitment to excellence we call Service Obsession. Being the best means having the best people, and getting the best people means being the best place to work.
A core part of our business is our Cape Town operations centre from which we provide 24/7 support to our predominantly UK based clients and their global operations via a 1st – 3rd line service desk, 365 days per year. This operation is planned to expand significantly in the coming years. This expansion is to not only accommodate growth in our service desk, but also an expanding remit to broaden our local service capability.
We are now looking for an experienced 3rd line Support Engineer to join our Internal Systems team in London providing support to our in-house members of staff. This role will be part of our global Internal Systems team and although you will be working closely with the rest of the team, your local team will ultimately be responsible for the deskside support for your local office and it is expected that you will become the go-to person for staff in that office for any technical support.
As an IT Lab Internal Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for providing desktop support to local and remote staff, and management and administration of our internal systems hosted locally, on our private cloud platform and in the public cloud. You will have a ‘Hands on’ problem solving approach; solving problems within strict SLA timeframes and dealing with end users up to executive level. You will provide a mixture of hardware, software, desktop and network support both in person and over the phone.
Reporting to the Head of Internal Systems the key deliverables of the role can be summarised as follows:
• Delivery of high quality support on escalated complex incidents and problems across the IT Lab estate
• Ensure compliance of security policies through user awareness and guidance of security best practices in accordance with our ISO27001 standards.
• Escalation point for 1st and 2nd line engineers for planned and emergency maintenance activities
• Responding appropriately to, and effectively resolving, incidents, queries or complaints.
• Help support, train and mentor other team members across all IT Lab office locations
• You will have a ‘hands on’ problem solving approach; solving problems within strict SLA timeframes
• Take ownership of incidents assigned to you and manage them through to resolution.
• Ensuring SLA’s are met; time to respond, time to resolve and first-time-fix.
• Be an ambassador for the Internal Systems team in the respective location and championing Internal Systems policies and procedures.
Required skills and capabilities
The ideal candidate will have/be:
• Experience in a 3rd Line or similar Senior Support role
• Extensive experience in setting up, troubleshooting and administering Office 365
• Extensive experience in management and billing of Azure resources
• Extensive experience with Exchange Online/Mimecast/email flow
• Experience with Skype for Business Server and Skype for Business Online
• Experience with Microsoft Teams
• Experience with Windows Server (all released within the last ~10 years)
• Experience with virtualisation technologies, mainly Hyper-V and VMware ESX + Workstation
• Excellent working knowledge of routing / switching equipment including, but not limited to, Cisco, Fortigate, Watchguard, Dell SonicWall, HP Routers, Switches and firewalls
• Excellent understanding of Skype for Business/Call centre applications, telephony and call flow
• Excellent understanding of many of the following protocols – OSPF, EIGRP, RIPv2, Spanning Tree, QoS, VPN (Site to Site and Client based)
• Good understanding of WAN/BGP, WiFi, Access Points (especially Ubiquiti UniFi and Cisco Meraki)
• Knowledge and experience supporting or administering WAN/MPLS connectivity
• Experience troubleshooting any of the following would be advantageous: Cisco / VoIP phone systems (Call Manager / Call Manager Express)
• Excellent communication skills – professional approach in all aspects of work and able to document knowledge clearly and concisely, experience or background of ITIL service desk environment advantageous.
• An appreciation for understanding how to deliver against service expectations
• Shows initiative at every level
Generic essential individual attributes:
• Excellent technical ability in one or more key virtual team areas
• Very good technical understanding of current leading technologies, suppliers and industry terminology
• Security conscious and aware of IT security risks.
• Able to prioritise under pressure and work to deadlines
• Excellent decision making, judgement, planning and organisation skills
• Flexible, calm and approachable, ‘can do’ attitude
• Solid customer relations skills to understand client/client representatives concerns and requirements
• Ability to work well within team, supporting other team members
• Ability and willingness to work outside of core hours in order to troubleshoot critical business impacting issues and undertaken planned and emergency maintenance work
• Willingness to gain relevant qualifications and accreditation's
• Awareness of how a support role in Internal Systems ensures the business runs at its best, to meet its goals.
Location and environment
This role will be based in either of our London head offices in Russell Square and Fenchurch Street or at our Manchester office, however, as mentioned above you will work amongst a wider team split across our London, Cape Town and Manchester offices. Our culture is non-hierarchical and one which stems from a hardworking but fun environment. We like to laugh, we like to do things together and among all the challenges of growing a fast-paced business, we endorse people being themselves, allowing them to focus on outcomes and substance rather than form. If you think you are a result oriented, positive, strategic thinker as well as tactical practitioner, then the Lab is the place for you.
• Working hours will be 40 hours a week during standard business hours (Monday – Friday, rotational shifts between 7am – 7pm UK time)
• Offices located in Manchester Lowry Mill, London Russell Square or London Fenchurch Street
• Package dependent on experience
• 25 days annual leave
• Opportunity to be a part of a large group of experienced Support Engineers, for you to grow and develop your skills and experience
• Continual professional development plans
Good luck and please bear in mind we receive a very high number of applications; we will endeavour to get back to all applicants, however, we thank you for understanding this is not always possible for unsuccessful applicants.
IT Lab is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to attracting and retaining the best talent.