Major Incident Manager at IT Lab, Cape Town
IT Lab is a leading technology and managed services provider in the UK, ranked within the top five European and top 50 global managed services suppliers and operates out of offices in London, Manchester and Cape Town and, via its global partners, in 13 countries across the world. The award-winning company provides a range of services including 24/7 support, cloud services, ERP software implementation, technology transformation and change projects, strategic consulting and analytics.
We are a dynamic and fast-growing company that truly values and is reliant upon our people, our culture and our commitment to excellence we call Service Obsession. Being the best means having the best people, and getting the best people means being the best place to work.
A core part of our business is our Cape Town operations centre from which we provide 24/7 support to our predominantly UK based clients and their global operations via a 1st – 3rd line service desk, 365 days per year. This operation is planned to expand significantly in the coming years. This expansion is to not only accommodate growth in our service desk, but also an expanding remit to broaden our local service capability.
We are now looking for an experienced Major Incident Manager to join our busy team in Cape Town. This role is part of the Service Management and Governance team, a global collaborative team responsible for the operation of ITIL process disciplines e.g. Continual Service Improvement (CSI), Incident, Knowledge, Problem and Change & Configuration Management.
The Major Incident Manager (MIM) is primarily responsible for the delivery of ITIL aligned operations supporting the Major Incident Management Process. Your primary objective is the restoration of normal service operation as soon as possible following a major incident, to ensure the minimum adverse impact to business operations, within the agreed Service Level Agreement (SLA).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Owns the Major Incident Management Process, and ensures escalations are responded to and owned through to resolution. This role supports Continuous Service Improvement (CSI) and works closely with Problem Management to minimise the re-occurrence of MI’s through regular problem analysis. Responsible for preventing problems and the resulting incidents from open problems from occurring. Supports the knowledge management process by contributing to Known-Error Data in the Knowledge base.
- Creates and monitors plans to investigate and resolve incidents and problems.
- Work to ensure that all Major Incident activity contributes to minimising disruption and downtime to systems and services.
- Work collaboratively with IT resolver groups to eradicate recurring incidents and prevent major incidents, by facilitating actions to identify problem root causes
- Agree suitable remedies and provide oversight to ensure these are implemented, recorded and communicated to relevant stakeholders to help avoid re-occurrence.
- Work closely with the Service Governance Manager to ensure information relevant to continual improvement is recorded, maintained and shared widely with appropriate stakeholder and resolver groups.
- Maintain information on the resolution of major incidents and ensures this is communicated to all stakeholders.
- Contribute to the Knowledge Management Process by participating in any Knowledge Management Review and assisting with the update and operation of the Knowledge Management System (KMS) and related Knowledge Articles.
- Ensure existing problems and known errors are understood and managed
- Regularly review MIM processes and recommend possible improvements utilising appropriate tools.
- Engage with suppliers to help ensure problems are managed and resolved in a timely manner.
- Chair Major Post Incident Reviews
- Ensure Major Incident Management procedures are strongly adhered to and respond to escalations, ensuring resolution, recovery, documentation and closure of Major Incidents. Ensure all necessary updates to the Knowledge Management System are undertaken.
- Represent the organisation in an honest, ethical and professional way and encourage others to do so.
Location and environment
This role will be based in our beautiful Century City offices in Cape Town; however, you will work amongst a wider team split across client sites, London, Cape Town and Manchester offices. Our culture is non-hierarchical and one which stems from a work hard but have fun environment. We like to laugh, we like to do things together and among all the challenges of growing a fast-paced business, we endorse people being themselves, allowing them to focus on outcomes and substance rather than form.
Required skills and capabilities
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- Previous experience in a similar role within a Service Provider/Managed Services or Service Integrator type business
- Relevant ITIL Certifications (or equivalent experience)
- Previous Engineering experience advantageous
- Excellent oral and written expression – able to create written material that is well structured and easy to follow by the intended audience
- Good active listening skills
- Clearly explains complex concepts and arguments to individuals and groups
- Assertive, confident, positive and a professional manner.
- Exceptional attention to detail and thoroughness
- Working hours will be 40 to 45 hours a week during standard business hours (Monday – Friday 9am – 6pm/8am-5pm UK time)
- Offices located in Century City (Cape Town)
- Package dependent on experience
- 22 days’ annual leave
- Continual professional development plans
- Free breakfast daily, lunches paid for on Friday (and a whole array of other benefits!)
- Working for an established London based employer with predominantly UK based clients
Good luck and please bear in mind we receive a very high number of applications; we will endeavour to get back to all applicants, however, we thank you for understanding this is not always possible for unsuccessful applicants.
IT Lab is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to attracting and retaining the best talent.