Cyber Security Specialist at IT Lab, Manchester
At IT Lab, we help customers to navigate the changing world of technology. We are taking on new and exciting challenges specifically targeted at helping our clients deal with the ever-changing cyber threat. If you want to help UK businesses be more secure, join us in expanding our operational security operations centre.
The cyber team has grown rapidly over the past 18 months, including the acquisition of an expert and highly accredited Penetration Testing and Security Consultancy capability. IT Lab Cyber has an integrated set of capabilities that can provide services to customers across the cyber security lifecycle. As a managed security services provider, with a strong technical testing and consultancy core, we can offer advice, operations and remediation in tandem with the wider technology services operations that are carried out by IT Lab. We are looking for ambitious individuals to join the team and help to secure our customers and keep malicious actors at bay.
IT Lab is a successful, ambitious and rapidly growing organisation: backed by ECI Partners in 2016, we are funded for organic and acquisitive growth and the cyber team is an important strategic part of this growth. We deliver a valuable set of strategic and innovative cyber services that are highly relevant to IT Lab’s customers and which complement the other services that the firm offers.
The Senior Cyber Security Specialist role is part of the Cyber Security Operations Centre (CSOC) and sits within the Cyber Services Department of IT Lab.
The candidate will be the technical lead within the Cyber Security Operations Centre (CSOC) for all SIEM and security platforms by managing and improving each to meet the requirements of the business. You are expected to think beyond a conventional SIEM approach and seek to enhance the security suite to a comprehensive automation and orchestration capability.
This is a hands-on technical role and requires a high level of technical ability and understanding across a variety of security systems, particularly within Microsoft. Although the focus is on Cyber Security, a broad knowledge and/or experience of modern IT systems and infrastructure is necessary to assist with the development and continuous improvement of the security platforms within IT Lab and its customer’s environments.
- You will be the technical lead / SME for the CSOC and SIEM service offering by managing and improving the platforms to meet the requirements of the business and/or client.
- Configure and develop SIEM tooling, and associated tool sets, to deliver effective and efficient SOC services through automation and orchestration, and to increase MTTD whilst reducing false positives and negatives.
- Ensure all security platforms are optimised to detect and prevent security threats across all on-prem and cloud environments to meet business objectives and regulatory requirements
- Provide technical oversight and support for the identification, triage and response to events or incidents of a suspicious or malicious nature, and apparent security breaches.
- You will work collaboratively with architects, infrastructure teams and key stakeholders inside and out of the business ensuring security and monitoring requirements are determined and implemented through onboarding or continuous improvement activities
- Actively support the onboarding of new clients throughout the transition to service delivery lifecycle.
- Conduct project activities including planning and execution of Changes, documentation, training / skills / knowledge transfer to the team and clients.
- Maintain a continuous understanding of the threat landscape with in-depth knowledge around threat actors, TTPs and vulnerabilities
- Be a technical mentor to the CSOC Specialists and Analysts, providing technical knowledge and training to the team
Background, Experience and Skills
- Excellent soft-skills in the form of team working, problem solving and communication.
- You are a self-starter, keen to develop new services and can collaborate effectively.
- Technical experience in a Security Operations Centre, Incident Response Team or similar environment.
- Experience with a variety of SIEM platforms and monitoring tools, configuration management tools, host virtualisation, containerisation, vulnerability scanners, proxies, WAFs.
- An in-depth knowledge of log formats, log transports and log analysis as well as automating log ingestion and normalisation in a SOC environment.
- The ability to perform analysis of log files from a variety of sources (e.g. individual host logs, network traffic logs, firewall logs, and intrusion detection system [IDS] logs) to identify possible threats to network security.
- Strong technical skills with experience in intrusion analysis and investigation using a variety of security tools (SIEM, EDR, DLP, AV, Snort, Wireshark, TCPdump etc.).
- A thorough understanding of internet communications protocols and in-depth packet analysis, including knowledge of how these protocols are commonly secured.
- Strong awareness of cyber-attack techniques and how protective monitoring systems can be used for detection, mitigation, remediation and protection.
- Awareness of risk management and the ability to contextualise technical issues into business risk relevant to the business and clients.
- One or more of the following industry certifications: CEH, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, Security+, GCTI
- Having achieved at least a BSc or MSc in Cyber Security incorporating Ethical Hacking, Digital Forensics or Information Security; or
- One of more of the following industry certifications: GCFE, GCFA, GNFA, GREM
- Formal experience in Digital Forensics or experience using EnCase, FTK Imager or similar
- Experience using Volatility (or equivalent) for memory analysis.
- Experience with static malware analysis
- Experience in secured cloud architectures (Azure, AWS) and engineering solutions
- An understanding of multiple operating systems and their programming interfaces such as UNIX Shell and PowerShell.
- An awareness of cyber security related standards and regulations, for example, NIST, CIS, ISO 27001 and PCI DSS
Package and Logistics
- Package dependent on experience
- Role based in our Manchester Lowry Mill offices 22 days’ annual leave
- Pension, healthcare (a whole array of benefits)
- Working hours will initially be between 9am and 6pm however this has the potential to move to shift based working
- Continual professional development plans
Good luck and please bear in mind we receive a very high number of applications; we will endeavour to get back to all applicants, however, we thank you for understanding this is not always possible for unsuccessful applicants.
IT Lab is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to attracting and retaining the best talent.