Operations Manager - Server and Platform at IT Lab, Cape Town
IT Lab is a leading technology and managed services provider in the UK, ranked within the top five European and top 50 global managed services suppliers and operates out of offices in London, Manchester and Cape Town and, via its global partners, in 13 countries across the world. The award-winning company provides a range of services including 24/7 support, cloud services, ERP software implementation, technology transformation and change projects, strategic consulting and analytics.
We are a dynamic and fast-growing company that truly values and is reliant upon our people, our culture and our commitment to excellence we call Service Obsession. Being the best means having the best people, and getting the best people means being the best place to work.
A core part of our business is our Cape Town operations centre from which we provide 24/7 support to our predominantly UK based clients and their global operations via a 1st – 3rd line service desk, 365 days per year. This operation is planned to expand significantly in the coming years. This expansion is to not only accommodate growth in our service desk, but also an expanding remit to broaden our local service capability.
An opportunity has arisen for an experienced Operations Manager to join our Support Services team in our Cape Town office. The Support Operations Manager is responsible for the overall management of the Server and Platform support teams and functions.
The Support Operations Manager holds a key position leadership and is considered a senior member of the team. Each support service function has its own set of capabilities and key responsibility areas that finally contribute to the organizational goal. The Support Operations manager plays a vital role in maximizing the output of the various support services as well as being a contributor towards the achievement of the company’s strategic and operational targets and overall business aims.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate, manage and monitor the functions and team members which are part of the Support Services Operations team (as listed above) with the use of SLA’s and KPI’s.
- Capacity planning and ensuring that production departments have sufficient time and resourcing to deliver on time according to customer demand.
- Establish efficient and flexible work schedules and managed overall resource Schedule planning.
- Manage and drive the accurate capturing of timesheets and trending forecasts.
- Improve processes and policies in support of Support Services goals. Formulate and implement departmental and organizational policies and procedures to maximize output. Monitor adherence to rules, regulations and procedures.
- Assist in recruitment and placement of required staff; establishment of organizational structure; delegation of tasks and accountabilities. Monitor and evaluate performance in partnership with the People and Talent team.
- Monitor, manage and improve the efficiency of support services and facilitate coordination and communication between support functions.
- Liaison with Board to assist in the development of strategic plans for operational activity. Implement and manage operational plans.
- Maintain proactive, dynamic and effective communication with customers and internal personnel.
- Co-ordinate and drive effective support services and deliver against agreed KPIs and customer expectations.
- Pro-actively identify potential operational risk and determine suitable mitigation factors to minimise the risk.
- Respond appropriately and dealing with queries or complaints in an effective manner (i.e. punctual; polite and with empathy).
- Take ownership of incidents allocated to the relevant team’s ticket queue and professionally manage them through to resolution or escalation
- Ensure that the working environment is conducive to high quality performance and service.
- Work with the Senior Operations Manager to recommend innovative business and technical solutions to improve operational effectiveness.
- Tracking of customer survey feedback along with the Process Manager and Quality Assurance team to identify appropriate mitigations in relation to people, process and product.
- Initiate meetings with stakeholders in support service-related instances to resolve issues or collaborate as required
- Possess excellent personal organisation and business administration skills in accordance with best practice methods
- Ability to build a high-performance team who can operate efficiently; effectively; productively and cost effectively
- Monitor staff performance and evaluate employee efficiency which must be documented during the process of performance meetings with each direct report a minimum of twice annually.
- Willingness to learn; improve and adapt
Location and environment
This role will be based in our beautiful Century City offices in Cape Town; however, you will work amongst a wider team split across London, Cape Town and Manchester offices. Our culture is non-hierarchical and one which stems from a work hard but have fun environment. We like to laugh, we like to do things together and among all the challenges of growing a fast-paced business, we endorse people being themselves, allowing them to focus on outcomes and substance rather than form.
Required skills and capabilities
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- Previous experience in a similar operational management role within a Service Provider/Managed Services or Service Integrator type business
- Applicable management qualification or degree (e.g. business degree)
- ITIL foundation certification
- Technical background working in a senior support role covering both physical and virtual server infrastructure
- Minimum of 4 to 7 years’ experience managing a team of more than 40 staff and 3 direct reports within a technical support and ITIL (or similar) process structured environment.
- Proven experience in relation to setup and maintenance of ITIL processes.
- Prior experience of working in a highly pressurised environment.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Deep understanding of the core business of the company and the avenues for growth
- Ability to compose data into reports and interpret against forecasting
- Verbal communication – professional phone manner and ability to match the customer’s style/level of communication
- Written communication – ability to write professional emails and document knowledge clearly and concisely
- An appreciation for understanding how to deliver against service expectations
- Shows initiative at every level
- Excellent time-management and prioritisation abilities.
- Meeting with employees to hear grievances and institute policies, as well as seeking feedback on policies and procedures.
- Ability to make quick and effective decisions.
- Ability to keep others motivated.
- High level of attention to detail and analysing data to identify potential risks to operations.
- Ability to listen and interpret customer needs.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Calm but positive and responsive under pressure
- Honest, responsible, diligent, strong sense of integrity; organised and knowledgeable
- Working hours will be 40 to 45 hours a week during standard business hours (Monday – Friday 9am – 6pm/8am-5pm UK time)
- Offices located in Century City (Cape Town)
- Package dependent on experience
- 22 days’ annual leave
- Continual professional development plans
- Free breakfast daily, lunches paid for on Friday (and a whole array of other benefits!)
- Working for an established London based employer with predominantly UK based clients
Good luck and please bear in mind we receive a very high number of applications; we will endeavour to get back to all applicants, however, we thank you for understanding this is not always possible for unsuccessful applicants.
IT Lab is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to attracting and retaining the best talent.