Major Incident Manager at IT Lab, Cape Town
IT Lab is a leading technology and managed services provider in the UK, ranked within the top five European and top 50 global managed services suppliers and operates out of offices in London, Manchester and Cape Town and, via its global partners, in 13 countries across the world. The award-winning company provides a range of services including 24/7 support, cloud services, ERP software implementation, technology transformation and change projects, strategic consulting and analytics.
We are a dynamic and fast-growing company that truly values and is reliant upon our people, our culture and our commitment to excellence we call Service Obsession. Being the best means having the best people, and getting the best people means being the best place to work.
A core part of our business is our Cape Town operations centre from which we provide 24/7 support to our predominantly UK based clients and their global operations via a 1st – 3rd line service desk, 365 days per year. This operation is planned to expand significantly in the coming years. This expansion is to not only accommodate growth in our service desk, but also an expanding remit to broaden our local service capability.
An opportunity has arisen for a Major Incident Manager to join the Business Systems & Process team in our Cape Town office.
Working as a key member of the Major Incident Management (MIM) team, you will take ownership of Major Incidents impacting multiple clients across varied technologies. The Major Incident Management team embody IT Lab’s drive for Service Obsession through a relentless and rigorous approach to managing Major Incidents to successful resolution while ensuring that clients are kept informed every step of the way.
You will manage Major Incidents to defined service levels, ensuring adequate skilled resources are working towards resolution while also handling all customer and internal stakeholder escalation, as required. You will provide accurate, targeted and timely communications both to impacted clients and internal teams/stakeholders.
Reporting to the Service Operations Process Manager, the key deliverables of the Major Incident Manager are as follows:
- Take full ownership of the Incident Management Process for all assigned Incidents/Major Incidents – advocating on behalf of the customer to ensure services are restored in a timely manner
- Determine what resources and expertise are required to resolve the Major Incident from both IT Lab resources and relevant 3rd parties (Vendors and/or client resources) engaging these resources to form the ‘Major Incident Management Team’
- Identify actions required to resolve Major Incidents using technical awareness or experience and general understanding of logical Incident Management troubleshooting, engaging technical expertise as required
- Co-ordinate updates between teams and resources while ensuring the Major Incident Record is kept up to date at all times
- Establish the ‘Major Incident Management Bridge’ / ‘War Room’ for each Major Incident and ensure that relevant resources and stakeholders attend the meetings
- Run all meetings (Bridges/War Rooms) regarding the Major Incident, ensuring focus on resolution is maintained
- Provide clear communications on the status of Major Incidents, and any action plan to resolve the issue, to internal and external stakeholders
- Produce Post Incident Reports for all Major Incidents and ensure a clear handover to Problem Management for full Root Cause Analysis
- Track all actions coming out of Post Incident Reports through to resolution, feeding into Continuous Service Improvement plans as required
- Escalate to relevant stakeholders as required (both internal to IT Lab and with suppliers), whenever the path to resolution of a Major Incident is unclear
- Identify process gaps and improvements and work with the wider team to address
Location and environment
This role will be based in our beautiful Century City offices in Cape Town; however, you will work amongst the Business Systems & Process Team split across client sites, London, Cape Town, Manchester. Our culture is non-hierarchical and one which stems from a work hard but have fun environment. We like to laugh, we like to do things together and among all the challenges of growing a fast-paced business, we endorse people being themselves, allowing them to focus on outcomes and substance rather than form.
If you think you are a result oriented, positive, strategic thinker as well as tactical practitioner, then the Lab is the place for you.
Required skills and capabilities
- The ideal candidate will have/be:
- Natural organiser and process driven
- Must have extensive experience in a Major Incident Manager role in a Managed Services, Service Provider or IT Service Operations Environment
- Experience working in a large, complex, multi-vendor environment
- First class customer service skills – live and breathe Service Obsession
- Experience and confidence engaging with engineers and managers at all levels of seniority – including Senior Management / Executives
- Previous experience of working on or with an IT Service Desk and experience in a customer engagement role
- Previous experience of working in a highly pressurised office
- Strong written/verbal English communication skills
- Developed understanding of IT technologies such as Networking, Servers, Virtualisation, Applications and End User Computing
- Ability to work well within a team
- Minimum ITIL foundation certified
- Minimum of one Tier 2 ITIL Certification
- Ability to influence those who you do not directly manage
- Ability to listen and interpret both the requirements of internal IT Lab representatives as well as customers
- Verbal communication – professional phone manner and ability to match the customer’s style/level of communication
- Written communication – ability to write professional emails and document knowledge clearly and concisely
- Attention to detail (i.e. ticket data accuracy; identifying gaps in process)
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to make quick and effective decisions
- Calm but positive and responsive under pressure
- Honest, responsible, diligent, organised and knowledgeable
- Ability to promote team moral
- Working hours will be 40 to 45 hours a week during extended business hours (Monday – Friday, rotational shifts between 7am – 10pm UK time)
- Participation in an on-call rota with other members of the team, covering evenings and weekends (overtime will be paid)
- Offices locating in Century City (Cape Town)
- Package depending on experience
- 22 days’ annual leave
- Opportunity to be a part of a large group of experienced ITIL Process professionals, for you to grow and develop your skills and experience
- Continual professional development plans
- Free breakfast daily, lunches paid for on Friday (and a whole array of other benefits!)
- Working for an established London based employer with predominantly UK based clients