Remote IT Manager at IT Lab, Manchester
IT Lab is a leading technology and managed services provider in the UK, ranked within the top five European and top 50 global managed services suppliers and operates out of offices in London, Manchester and Cape Town and, via its global partners, in 13 countries across the world. The award-winning company provides a range of services including 24/7 support, cloud services, ERP software implementation, technology transformation and change projects, strategic consulting and analytics.
We are a dynamic and fast growing company that truly values and is reliant upon our people, our culture and our commitment to excellence we call Service Obsession. Being the best means having the best people, and getting the best people means being the best place to work.
A core part of our business is our Cape Town operations centre from which we provide 24/7 support to our predominantly UK based clients and their global operations via a 1st – 3rd line service desk, 365 days per year. This operation is planned to expand significantly in the coming years. This expansion is to not only accommodate growth in our service desk, but also an expanding remit to broaden our local service capability.
To support our growth, we are now seeking to recruit an experienced Remote IT Manager to join our Managed Services Function. This person will be responsible for delivering in-depth RCA across a wide spectrum of technologies in collaboration with other engineers in the Managed Services team.
Reporting to the Managed Services Team Leader, the Remote IT Manager will aassume a virtual IT Manager role for a number of clients’ IT systems where service delivery and NOC monitoring has been outsourced.
As well as providing a proactive and preventative element to the Managed Services team, the Remote IT Manager is also expected to act as a technical escalation point. They will be responsible for documenting weekly and monthly reports and health checks for IT Lab clients, developing a proactive approach to managing our clients’ IT infrastructure.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Triaging existing tickets aligned to specific NOC and Managed Service deliverables
- Identify repetitive trends in line with various ticket issue types per client
- Provide root cause analysis and proactive support, internally and to the client
- Prevent issues across a clients IT system through proactive remediation and capacity planning working with commercial teams to determine strategy to future proof the environment
- Resolve ongoing client issues, for example disk space consumption, working with commercial teams to determine strategy to prevent impact
- Work to develop improved complex monitoring sets to enhance our monitoring capability for a core set of clients.
- Collaborate with other team members in other technical areas of the business to deliver improved health checks on clients infrastructure
Location and environment
This role will be based in our Manchester Office; however, you will work amongst a wider Managed Services function split between Cape Town, London and Manchester.
Our culture is non-hierarchical and one which stems from a hardworking but have fun environment. We like to laugh, we like to do things together and among all the challenges of growing a fast-paced business, we endorse people being themselves, allowing them to focus on outcomes and substance rather than form.
If you think you are a result oriented, positive, strategic thinker then the Lab is the place for you.
Required skills and capabilities
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- A strong record in providing 3rd line support and delivering proactive and effective remediation
- Solid experience of working on complex problems across the full Microsoft Stack primarily
- Clear and effective decision making, sound judgement, proactive planning
- Flexible, calm and approachable, ‘can do’ attitude
- Excellent customer relations skills to understand client/client representatives concerns and requirements
- Ability to work well within team, supporting other team members
- Ability to work within timelines and ensure Team deliverables are met
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to make quick and effective decisions
- Thorough advanced Windows server configuration and troubleshooting knowledge
- Experienced troubleshooting using monitoring toolsets (e.g. SolarWinds, Nagios, ScienceLogic, Zabbix)
- Good configuration and troubleshooting knowledge of multiple backup solutions (Backup Exec, VEEAM, DPM, Azure Site Recovery)
- Good working knowledge of Azure or other cloud-based IaaS environments
- Excellent virtualisation knowledge and experience, including high-availability and replication using Hyper-V and VMware
- Good knowledge of network topologies, routing and NAT
- Solid understanding of Exchange online and other Office365 functions
- Knowledge and working experience with firewalls and endpoint security solutions
Desired, but not essential:
- Basic administration and troubleshooting on Linux platforms
- Experience troubleshooting infrastructure supporting third party applications
- Good working experience in a SQL environment
- Knowledge and working experience using PowerShell
- Working hours will be 35 to 40 hours a week during standard business hours (Monday – Friday, rotational shifts between 7am – 7pm UK time)
- Offices locating in Manchester - Lowry Mill
- Package depending on experience
- 22 days’ annual leave
- Opportunity to be a part of a large group of experienced Support Engineers, for you to grow and develop your skills and experience
- Continual professional development plans
- Pension, healthcare (a whole array of benefits)
Good luck and please bear in mind we receive a very high number of applications; we will endeavour to get back to all applicants, however, we thank you for understanding this is not always possible for unsuccessful applicants.
IT Lab is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to attracting and retaining the best talent.