NOC Security Engineer at IT Lab, Cape Town
IT Lab is a leading technology and managed services provider in the UK, ranked within the top five European and top 50 global managed services suppliers and operates out of offices in London, Manchester and Cape Town and, via its global partners, in 13 countries across the world. The award-winning company provides a range of services including 24/7 support, cloud services, ERP software implementation, technology transformation and change projects, strategic consulting and analytics.
We are a dynamic and fast growing company that truly values and is reliant upon our people, our culture and our commitment to excellence we call Service Obsession. Being the best means having the best people, and getting the best people means being the best place to work.
A core part of our business is our Cape Town operations centre from which we provide 24/7 support to our predominantly UK based clients and their global operations via a 1st – 3rd line service desk, 365 days per year. This operation is planned to expand significantly in the coming years. This expansion is to not only accommodate growth in our service desk, but also an expanding remit to broaden our local service capability.
An opportunity has arisen for a security focused Support Engineer to join our Managed Security Services team working on a shift basis, including night shift, in our Cape Town Office, to improve and maintain the performance, stability and security of our client IT systems. Relevant experience, the ability to learn quickly, communicate well at all levels, work with 100% commitment and contribute to the success of our existing team of dedicated professionals is vital.
Reporting to the Team Leader, the key deliverables of the Security Engineer can be summarised as follows:
- Maintaining and improving the performance of a number clients’ IT systems through proactive monitoring and event management.
- Management of clients’ data protection and replication systems to mitigate exposure to loss of data
- Triage of confirmed active security threats in a timely and effective manner
- Baselining, improving and maintaining the security profile of a wide range of our client base through security patching.
Duties will include (but are not limited to):
- Delivery of event and incident management for IT system performance events across a wide variety of clients monitored systems in our NOC
- Delivery and management of security and critical updates across a high volume of client’s Microsoft systems
- Analyse and triage security events, alarms, acting as the 1st line security event analyst monitoring the Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) system assisting the SOC team.
- Monitor the SOC alarm dashboard, providing an initial analysis of event data and network traffic, making security event determinations on alarm severity, escalation, and response routing.
- Maintenance and management of our BitDefender anti-malware estate
- Maintenance and management of a number of Threat Management platforms
Required skills and capabilities
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- Minimum 2 years’ technology industry experience in a NOC or security focused support role
- Experience working in a shift-based pattern including night shifts
- Strong, demonstrated experience with Windows Server 2012 and above, including Azure cloud environments
- Specific experience in delivering Microsoft critical and security updates during scheduled maintenance windows using automated and/or centrally managed tools (eg WSUS, SCCM, Autotask Endpoint Management | DattoRMM)
- Experience in management and administration of anti-malware centralised platforms, BitDefender Gravity Zone or similar
- WAN experience specifically Cisco, Fortigate and Dell SonicWall devices
- Experience in management and administration of web and email security filtering solutions
- Accredited in one or more industry standard certifications, Microsoft MCSA, Fortigate NSE4, Cisco CCNA or similar
- Excellent communication skills – professional phone manner and ability to write professional emails and document knowledge clearly and concisely
- An appreciation for understanding how to deliver against service expectations
- Shows initiative at every level
Generic essential individual attributes:
- Good technical ability in one or more key technology areas
- Good technical understanding of current leading security technologies, suppliers and industry terminology
- Able to prioritise under pressure and work to deadlines
- Excellent decision making, judgement, planning and organisation skills
- Flexible, calm and approachable, ‘can do’ attitude
- Solid customer relations skills to understand client/client representatives concerns and requirements
- Ability to work well within team, supporting other team members
- Willingness to gain relevant qualifications and accreditation's
Location and environment
This role will be based in our beautiful Century City Office in Cape Town; however, you will work amongst a team split across London, Cape Town, and Manchester offices. Our culture is non-hierarchical and one which stems from a work hard, but have fun environment. We like to laugh, we like to do things together and among all the challenges of growing a fast-paced business, we endorse people being themselves, allowing them to focus on outcomes and substance rather than form.
If you think you are a results oriented, positive, strategic thinker as well as tactical practitioner, then the Lab is the place for you.
- Working hours will be 40 hours a week, on a rotating shift duration of 10 hours (not including breaks); 4 days on shift 4 days rest.
- Base Package dependent on experience (including a night shift allowance)
- 22 days’ annual leave
- Access to a medical aid and pension scheme
- Rewarded for additional IT related study
- Opportunity to be a part of a large group of experienced Support Engineers, for you to grow and develop your skills and experience
- Free breakfast daily, lunches paid for on Friday (and a whole array of other benefits!)
- Working for an established London based employer with predominantly UK based clients
Good luck and please bear in mind we receive a very high number of applications; we will endeavour to get back to all applicants, however, we thank you for understanding this is not always possible for unsuccessful applicants.
IT Lab is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to attracting and retaining the best talent.