Junior Database Administrator at IT Lab, Cape Town
IT Lab is a leading technology and managed services provider in the UK, ranked within the top five European and top 50 global managed services suppliers and operates out of offices in London, Manchester and Cape Town and, via its global partners, in 13 countries across the world. The award-winning company provides a range of services including 24/7 support, cloud services, ERP software implementation, technology transformation and change projects, strategic consulting and analytics.
We are a dynamic and fast growing company that truly values and is reliant upon our people, our culture and our commitment to excellence we call Service Obsession. Being the best means having the best people, and getting the best people means being the best place to work.
A core part of our business is our Cape Town operations centre from which we provide 24/7 support to our predominantly UK based clients and their global operations via a 1st – 3rd line service desk, 365 days per year. This operation is planned to expand significantly in the coming years. This expansion is to not only accommodate growth in our service desk, but also an expanding remit to broaden our local service capability.
IT Lab are looking for a Junior Database Administrator with a passion for providing great customer service to join the team. The role will involve providing proactive and reactive Database Administration services to our customers and supporting the internal Business Systems team.
Reporting to the Team Leader, the key deliverables of the Junior Database Administrator can be summarised as follows:
• Responsible for all aspects of the databases and being highly focused on maintaining performance, integrity, replication and security across the Production databases environment
• To be responsible for monitoring database activity and ensuring that index statistics, database growth/storage, replication, archiving, back-up and recovery procedures are in place and functioning correctly.
• Monitor and manage the environment ensuring high availability is always maintained
• Ensure that any issues related to HA/DR processes (Clustering, database mirroring, log shipping and transactional replication) are investigated and resolved
• Carry out BAU work as required to meet the needs of the business
• Assist other teams with database backups/restores and other activities
• 1st and 2nd line support incidents and requests logged with the DBA team
• Liaise with external vendors in support of 3rd party software solutions
• Ensure that database security and permissions are managed according to best practices
• Take an active role in improving the SQL Server database estate
• Ensure that the DBA documentation set is updated and expanded where necessary
• Perform SQL Server patching as required
• Create management information reports from managed databases (Desirable)
Location and environment
Our culture is non-hierarchical and one which stems from a work hard but have fun environment. We like to laugh, we like to do things together and among all the challenges of growing a fast-paced business, we endorse people being themselves, allowing them to focus on outcomes and substance rather than form.
If you think you are a result oriented, positive, strategic thinker as well as tactical practitioner, then the Lab is the place for you.
Required skills and capabilities
The ideal candidate will have/be:
• Proven experience in development and production database administrator roles
• Strong skills in data modelling (logical, physical, ERD).
• Understanding of object-oriented programming languages
• Working experience of the following technologies:
o SQL Server
o SQL Server 2008 to 2014 including T-SQL, SSIS, SSRS and SSAS
o Power BI (Desirable)
o 3rd party or open source ETL tools (Desirable)
o Replication / High Availability
o T-SQL, Triggers, Stored Procedures
• Demonstrable experience of performance tuning and query optimization
• Experience of working in a virtualized environment
• knowledge of Failover Clustering, Log shipping, Database Mirroring and Transactional Replication
• Experience of the full Software Development Lifecycle, utilising both Agile and Waterfall Project Delivery methods
Generic essential individual attributes:
• Able to prioritise under pressure and work to deadlines
• Flexible, calm and approachable, ‘can do’ attitude
• Ability to work well within team, supporting other team members
• Willingness to gain relevant qualifications and accreditation's
• Work hours are between the hours of 7am – 7pm UK Time, Monday to Friday based on UK times
• Base Package dependent on experience
• 22 days’ annual leave
• Access to a medical aid and pension scheme
• Opportunity to be a part of a large group of experienced Support Engineers, for you to grow and develop your skills and experience
• Working for an established London based employer with predominantly UK based clients
Good luck and please bear in mind we receive a very high number of applications; we will endeavour to get back to all applicants, however, we thank you for understanding this is not always possible for unsuccessful applicants.
IT Lab is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to attracting and retaining the best talent.