Managed Security Engineer at IT Lab, Cape Town
IT Lab is a leading technology and managed services provider in the UK, ranked within the top five European and top 50 global managed services suppliers and operates out of offices in London, Manchester and Cape Town and, via its global partners, in 13 countries across the world. The award-winning company provides a range of services including 24/7 support, cloud services, ERP software implementation, technology transformation and change projects, strategic consulting and analytics.
A core part of our business is our Cape Town operations centre from which we provide 24/7 support to our predominantly UK based clients and their global operations via a 1st – 3rd line service desk, 365 days per year. This operation is planned to expand significantly in the coming years. This expansion is to not only accommodate growth in our service desk, but also an expanding remit to broaden our local service capability.
An opportunity has arisen for an experienced security focused Support Engineer to join our Managed Services team working in our Cape Town Office, to continually improve and maintain the security hardening profile of our client IT systems. Relevant experience and the ability to learn quickly, communicate well at all levels, work with 100% commitment and contribute to the success of our existing team of dedicated professionals is vital.
- Baselining, improving and maintaining the security profile of a wide range of our client base to mitigate the risk of malicious incidents and threat of data breaches
- Working within the relevant technology Virtual Team to identify potential malicious and unusual activity
- Remediation of confirmed active security threats in a timely and effective manner
- Delivery of proactive security reviews across numerous technologies in use within the IT Lab client base
- Delivery and management of security and critical updates across a high volume of client’s Microsoft systems
- Maintenance and management of our BitDefender anti-malware estate
- Maintenance and management of a number of Threat Management platforms
- Proactive management and monitoring of a large number of client internet facing firewalls
- Working with the Malicious Incident Virtual Team to remediate, investigate and resolve active malicious activity
- Working with key stakeholders to contribute to improving our baseline security profile and implementation standard operating procedures.
Location and environment
This role will be based in our beautiful Century City Office in Cape Town; however, you will work amongst a team split across London, Cape Town, and Manchester offices. Our culture is non-hierarchical and one which stems from a work hard, but have fun environment. We like to laugh, we like to do things together and among all the challenges of growing a fast-paced business, we endorse people being themselves, allowing them to focus on outcomes and substance rather than form. We’re proud of our employee engagement and have successfully been listed in the Sunday Times “Best Companies to Work for” for six years and with our group companies, 11 of the last 12 years.
We’re also pleased with our number 80 ranking in the Sunday Times Tech Track 100 which tracks the fastest growing technology companies in the UK.
If you think you are a results oriented, positive, strategic thinker as well as tactical practitioner, then the Lab is the place for you.
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- Minimum 5 years’ technology industry experience in a security focused role
- Strong, demonstrated experience with Windows Server 2008 and above, including Azure cloud environments
- Specific experience in delivering Microsoft critical and security updates during scheduled maintenance windows using automated and centrally managed tools (eg WSUS, SCCM, Autotask Endpoint Management)
- Experience in management and administration of anti-malware centralised platforms, BitDefender Gravity Zone or similar
- Experience in management and administration of web security filtering solutions
- Experience in email content filtering solutions, including Mimecast and Symantec MessageLabs
- Solid WAN security experience specifically Cisco, Fortigate and Dell SonicWall devices
- Accredited in one or more industry standard certifications, Microsoft MSCA, Fortigate NSE4, Cisco CCNA or similar
- Excellent communication skills – professional phone manner and ability to write professional emails and document knowledge clearly and concisely
- An appreciation for understanding how to deliver against service expectations
- Shows initiative at every level
- Excellent technical ability in one or more key technology areas
- Very good technical understanding of current leading security technologies, suppliers and industry terminology
- Able to prioritise under pressure and work to deadlines
- Excellent decision making, judgement, planning and organisation skills
- Flexible, calm and approachable, ‘can do’ attitude
- Solid customer relations skills to understand client/client representatives concerns and requirements
- Ability to work well within team, supporting other team members
- Willingness to gain relevant qualifications and accreditation's
- Working hours will be 40 to 45 hours a week during standard business hours (Monday – Friday, rotational shifts between 7am – 7pm UK time)
- Package depending on experience
- 22 days’ annual leave
- Access to a medical aid and pension scheme
- Rewarded for additional IT related study
- Free breakfast daily, lunches paid for on Friday (and a whole array of other benefits!)
- Working for an established London based employer with predominantly UK based clients
Good luck and please bear in mind we receive a very high number of applications; we will endeavour to get back to all applicants, however, we thank you for understanding this is not always possible for unsuccessful applicants.
IT Lab is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to attracting and retaining the best talent.