Junior Cloud Engineer at IT Lab, London
IT Lab is a leading technology and managed services provider in the UK, ranked within the top five European and top 50 global managed services suppliers and operates out of offices in London, Manchester and Cape Town and, via its global partners, in 13 countries across the world. The award-winning company provides a range of services including 24/7 support, cloud services, ERP software implementation, technology transformation and change projects, strategic consulting and analytics.
We are a dynamic and fast growing company that truly values and is reliant upon our people, our culture and our commitment to excellence we call Service Obsession. Being the best means having the best people, and getting the best people means being the best place to work.
A core part of our business is our Cape Town operations centre from which we provide 24/7 support to our predominantly UK based clients and their global operations via a 1st – 3rd line service desk, 365 days per year. This operation is planned to expand significantly in the coming years. This expansion is to not only accommodate growth in our service desk, but also an expanding remit to broaden our local service capability.
An opportunity has arisen for a Junior Cloud Engineer to join the team in our London office assisting in operating, maintaining, troubleshooting and upgrading the IT Lab Cloudlab Platform.
Reporting to the Cloud Lab CTO, the key deliverables of the Junior Cloud Engineer can be summarised as follows:
• Set up of virtual cloud environments for customers
• Be principal resource for managing Cloudlab backup solutions, including SAN based snapshots, Veeam (Backup & Recovery and Cloud Connect), Commvault, Storages Spaces B2D, and our Quantum tape library.
• Be available for data centre work for both our Slough and Park Royal facilities
• Provide assistance with maintaining hardware asset register and associated maintenance renewal dates and costs.
• First point of contact for support requests passed on to the Cloud Lab team. This is “first line” for Cloudlab but it should not be considered a “first line” role due the complexities and nature of the technology and the fact that calls will already have been fielded by ITLAB first line engineers. This will include backup/restore requests, virtual data centre queries, network trouble shooting (inc. VLAN, VXLAN, BGP etc), and performance trouble shooting.
• Involvement in the many current and future projects from upgrades to introduction of new technologies.
Required skills and capabilities
The ideal candidate will have/be:
• Minimum of 5 GCSE’s A*- C grade
• Previous experience in an IT Administration type role – desirable
• Confident technology user
• A motivated self-starter with a desire to excel
• Have an inquisitive mind / nature
• Attention to detail - this person will need to pay particular attention to neatness and tidiness when working on the data centre infrastructure
• Basic understanding of IT infrastructure including IP addresses, TCP/IP and some networking knowledge
• Ability to communicate at a professional level by email, phone and in person
• Have a can-do attitude
• Strong written & verbal communication skills
• Able to work to deadlines
Generic essential individual attributes:
• Able to prioritise under pressure and work to deadlines
• Flexible, calm and approachable, ‘can do’ attitude
• Ability to work well within team, supporting other team members
• Willingness to gain relevant qualifications and accreditation's
• Working hours will be 40 hours a week during standard business hours (Monday – Friday, rotational shifts between 9am-6pm UK time)
• Offices locating in Russel Square (Central London)
• Package dependent on experience
• 22 days’ annual leave
• Opportunity to be a part of a large group of experienced Engineers, for you to grow and develop your skills and experience
• Continual professional development plans
• Excellent benefits such as free daily breakfasts and loads of social activities!
Good luck and please bear in mind we receive a very high number of applications; we will endeavour to get back to all applicants, however, we thank you for understanding this is not always possible for unsuccessful applicants.
IT Lab is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to attracting and retaining the best talent.