2nd Line Night Shift Engineer at IT Lab, Cape Town
IT Lab is a leading technology and managed services provider in the UK, ranked within the top five European and top 50 global managed services suppliers and operates out of offices in London, Manchester and Cape Town and, via its global partners, in 13 countries across the world. The award-winning company provides a range of services including 24/7 support, cloud services, ERP software implementation, technology transformation and change projects, strategic consulting and analytics.
We are a dynamic and fast growing company that truly values and is reliant upon our people, our culture and our commitment to excellence we call Service Obsession. Being the best means having the best people, and getting the best people means being the best place to work.
A core part of our business is our Cape Town operations centre from which we provide 24/7 support to our predominantly UK based clients and their global operations via a 1st – 3rd line service desk, 365 days per year. This operation is planned to expand significantly in the coming years. This expansion is to not only accommodate growth in our service desk, but also an expanding remit to broaden our local service capability.
An opportunity has arisen for an experienced (second line) Support Engineer to join the Night Shift Service Desk team in our Cape Town office, providing unparalleled service excellence to our base of over 400 clients and 13,000 end users across the UK.
Reporting to the Team Leader, the key deliverables of the Night Shift Engineer can be summarised as follows:
- Delivery of high quality remote support on a range of technical incidents and problems across the IT Lab client base
- Responding appropriately to, and effectively resolving, customer incidents, queries or complaints.
- Take ownership of incidents assigned to you and manage them through to resolution.
- Troubleshooting and maintaining a wide range of systems, including but not limited to brand name networking equipment like: Fortigate and Cisco, HP and Dell servers, Microsoft Server SBS, 2003 through to 2012, Microsoft Windows XP to 10, Linux and Apple server and desktop OS’s, workstation hardware, Office365, Mimecast and Hyper-V / VMWare virtualization.
- Ensuring SLA’s are met; time to respond, time to resolve and first-time-fix.
- Server rebuilds
- Application troubleshooting
Location and environment
Our culture is non-hierarchical and one which stems from a hardworking but fun environment. We like to laugh, we like to do things together and among all the challenges of growing a fast-paced business, we endorse people being themselves, allowing them to focus on outcomes and substance rather than form.
If you think you are a results oriented, positive, strategic thinker as well as tactical practitioner, then the Lab is the place for you.
Required skills and capabilities
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- Proven technology industry experience providing support at a 2nd Line level or above
- Previous experience of working in a night shift environment
- Available and medically fit to work night shift
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable to work with minimal supervision and with team members that are located remotely
- Moderate to advanced troubleshooting skills (e.g. AD; servers; workstations; databases; networking)
- Ability to know where to find information if unable to resolve immediately (i.e. technical sites; forums, vendors; etc.)
- Experience supporting Microsoft software (Office, Exchange, Active Directory, Server etc.)
- Formal IT qualification, ideally MCSE/MCITP or multiple MCPs is advantageous but not essential!
- Own (reliable) transportation
- Excellent technical ability in one or more key virtual team areas
- Very good technical understanding of current leading technologies, suppliers and industry terminology
- Able to prioritise under pressure and work to deadlines
- Excellent Decision making, judgement, planning and organisation skills
- Flexible, calm and approachable, ‘can do’ attitude
- Solid customer relations skills to understand client/client representatives concerns and requirements
- Ability to work well within team, supporting other team members
- Willingness to gain relevant qualifications and accreditation's
- Working hours will be 40-45 hours a week between the hours of 7pm-5am and/or 9pm-7am Monday to Sundays (4 days on, 3 days rest).
- Base Package dependent on experience (including a 30%-night shift allowance)
- 22 days’ annual leave
- Access to a medical aid and pension scheme
- Rewarded for additional IT related study
- Opportunity to be a part of a large group of experienced Support Engineers, for you to grow and develop your skills and experience
- Working for an established London based employer with predominantly UK based clients
Good luck and please bear in mind we receive a very high number of applications; we will endeavour to get back to all applicants, however, we thank you for understanding this is not always possible for unsuccessful applicants.