Networking Engineer - Cape Town at IT Lab, Cape Town
IT Lab is a leading technology and managed services provider in the UK, ranked within the top five European and top 50 global managed services suppliers and operates out of offices in London, Manchester and Cape Town and, via its global partners, in 13 countries across the world. The award-winning company provides a range of services including 24/7 support, cloud services, ERP software implementation, technology transformation and change projects, strategic consulting and analytics.
We are a dynamic and fast-growing company that truly values and is reliant upon our people, our culture and our commitment to excellence we call Service Obsession. Being the best means having the best people, and getting the best people means being the best place to work.
A core part of our business is our Cape Town operations centre from which we provide 24/7 support to our predominantly UK based clients and their global operations via a 1st – 3rd line service desk, 365 days per year. This operation is planned to expand significantly in the coming years. This expansion is to not only accommodate growth in our service desk, but also an expanding remit to broaden our local service capability.
An opportunity has arisen for an experienced Support Engineer to join our Support Services team working in our Cape Town office, acting as the technical escalation point for highly complex support issues arising on our client sites. Relevant experience and the ability to learn quickly, communicate well at all levels, work with 100% commitment and contribute to the success of our existing team of dedicated professionals is vital.
The core focus of the role will be aligned to supporting a wide array of clients with varied network topologies and infrastructure. Providing reactive support alongside proactive initiatives will be the main drivers towards fulfilling a network engineers responsibilities.
This can include day to day incidents, requests or tasks depending on the requirements of any of our customers. The engineer must possess excellent verbal communication skills as well as exceptional analytical and technical skills and continually look to improve on this. In addition, they need to collaborate with the entire operations team with positive communication and sharing of knowledge and information.
Generic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond appropriately and deal with assigned tasks in an effective manner (i.e. punctual; polite and with empathy).
- Understand and take ownership of tickets allocated to them or their relevant Virtual team (“VTs”) ticket queue and professionally manage them through to resolution or escalation.
- Ask targeted questions to apply accurate troubleshooting.
- Deliver change tasks required by clients
- Contribute fully as an active team member and ensure personal and team objectives are achieved.
- Maintain a professional relationship with clients and peers.
- Utilise excellent customer service skills and exceed customers’ expectations.
- Report potential client facing risks.
- Report customer feedback and potential product request.
- Maintain your own personal development plan with support from your manager.
- Collaborate with other teams to maintain standards and functionality.
- Undertake any other tasks as assigned by management.
- Availability during your shift hours (which may incur shift & desk rotation).
- Troubleshoot, maintain and support a wide range of systems.
- Ensure Service Level Agreements (“SLAs”) are met.
Essential Technical Experience and Exposure Required:
- Previous experience in a networking role or similar
- Network +
- NSE1/2/3 - fundamentals
- CCENT (Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician)
- Fortinet NSE4
- VOIP (Gamma Horizon S4B, Lync, CCNA Voice or experience)
Beneficial Technical Experience:
- CCNA (Routing & Switching)
- Fortinet NSE5
- Cisco Meraki
- Switching – HP, Juniper
- Firewalls – Cisco ASA, Juniper, Palo Alto
- CCNP Security (Optional but recommended, CCNA Security a requirement)
- WAN (MPLS, VPLS, Internet)
- Working hours will be 40 to 45 hours a week during standard business hours (Monday – Friday, rotational shifts between 7am – 7pm UK time)
- Office in Century City (Cape Town)
- Package dependent on experience
- 22 days’ annual leave
- Opportunity to be a part of a large group of experienced Support Engineers, for you to grow and develop your skills and experience
- Continual professional development plans
Good luck and please bear in mind we receive a very high number of applications; we will endeavour to get back to all applicants, however, we thank you for understanding this is not always possible for unsuccessful applicants.