Support Engineer (1st Line) at IT Lab, Cape Town
IT Lab is a leading technology and managed services provider in the UK, ranked within the top five European and top 50 global managed services suppliers and operates out of offices in London, Manchester and Cape Town and, via its global partners, in 13 countries across the world. The award-winning company provides a range of services including 24/7 support, cloud services, ERP software implementation, technology transformation and change projects, strategic consulting and analytics.
We are a dynamic and fast growing company that truly values and is reliant upon our people, our culture and our commitment to excellence we call Service Obsession. Being the best means having the best people, and getting the best people means being the best place to work.
A core part of our business is our Cape Town operations centre from which we provide 24/7 support to our predominantly UK based clients and their global operations via a 1st – 3rd line service desk, 365 days per year. This operation is planned to expand significantly in the coming years. This expansion is to not only accommodate growth in our service desk, but also an expanding remit to broaden our local service capability.
An opportunity has arisen for a First Line Remote Support Engineer to join the Desk team in our Cape Town office, providing unparalleled service excellence to our base of over 400 clients and 13,000 end users across the UK.
Reporting to the Team Leader, the key deliverables of our First Line Engineers can be summarised as follows:
- Delivery of high quality remote support on a range of technical incidents and problems across the IT Lab client base
- Responding appropriately to, and effectively resolving, customer incidents, queries or complaints.
- You will be troubleshooting, installing, maintaining and supporting a wide range of SME IT systems
- You will have a ‘hands on’ problem solving approach; solving problems within strict SLA timeframes
- Work on cases remotely via phone, email and Internet
- Hardware, software, desktop, network and infrastructure support
- Take ownership of incidents assigned to you and manage them through to resolution.
- Ensuring SLA’s are met; time to respond, time to resolve and first-time-fix.
- Application troubleshooting
Location and environment
This role will be based in our Beautiful Century City Office in Cape Town; however, you will work amongst a Support Team Split across client sites, London, Cape Town, Manchester and Woking offices. Our culture is non-hierarchical and one which stems from a work hard, but have fun environment. We like to laugh, we like to do things together and among all the challenges of growing a fast-paced business, we endorse people being themselves, allowing them to focus on outcomes and substance rather than form.
If you think you are a results oriented, positive, strategic thinker as well as tactical practitioner, then the Lab is the place for you.
Required skills and capabilities
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- Previous experience of providing IT Support at a 1st Line level in a commercial environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience supporting Microsoft software (Office, Exchange, Active Directory, Server etc.)
- Formal IT qualification, ideally MCSE/MCITP or multiple MCPs massively advantageous but not a deal breaker
Generic essential individual attributes:
- Excellent technical ability in one or more key virtual team areas
- Very good technical understanding of current leading technologies, suppliers and industry terminology
- Able to prioritise under pressure and work to deadlines
- Excellent Decision making, judgement, planning and organisation skills
- Flexible, calm and approachable, ‘can do’ attitude
- Solid customer relations skills to understand client/client representatives concerns and requirements
- Ability to work well within team, supporting other team members
- Willingness to gain relevant qualifications and accreditation's
- Working hours will be 40 to 45 hours a week during standard business hours (Monday – Friday, rotational shifts between 7am – 7pm UK time)
- Package depending on experience
- 22 days’ annual leave
- Access to a medical aid and pension scheme
- Rewarded for additional IT related study
- Opportunity to be a part of a large group of experienced Support Engineers, for you to grow and develop your skills and experience
- Free breakfast daily, lunches paid for on Friday (and a whole array of other benefits!)
- Working for an established London based employer with predominantly UK based clients
Good luck and please bear in mind we receive a very high number of applications; we will endeavour to get back to all applicants, however, we thank you for understanding this is not always possible for unsuccessful applicants.
IT Lab is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to attracting and retaining the best talent.